Tortilla Soup with Chicken and Rice
A gentle taste of Mexico makes this aromatic soup an ideal main dish or starter. Tender chicken, roasted corn, tomatoes and rice in a rich broth are accented with cilantro and lime and topped with crisp tortillas.Yield: 12 Servings
Serving Size: 2 cups
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Standard View | FoodService View
1. In skillet, heat oil 1-inch deep over medium heat. Fry tortilla until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel and hold until serving.
2. In large sauce pot, heat oil over medium heat; add scallion and sauté 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder and chicken stock; bring to a simmer, cover and let cook 15 minutes.
3. Stir in chicken, roasted corn and lime juice; keep warm until ready to serve.
4. To Serve: For each serving, ladle 2 cups soup into soup plate or large bowl and add 2 Tbsp. avocados and ½ cup rice mounded in center. Garnish with 1 Tbsp. minced cilantro, tortilla strips and a lime wedge.
5. *You may also use U.S. aromatic rice in this recipe.