Healthy Rice Bowls 2010
Healthy Rice Bowls Right for Schools
Rice Bowls are a smart, nutritious choice for your school lunch program. Students and teachers give them high grades for taste, appeal and meal variety.
Adding Rice Bowls to your menu:
- Helps promote healthful eating habits for your students
- Is easy to plan, prepare and serve
- Stretches ever-tightening budgets to better balance lower-cost/commodity ingredients like rice with higher-cost proteins
- Let school menus reflect the hottest trends in foodservice today and allows students to "customize" their food options
- Fits the U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans and MyPyramid recommendations to eat more grains, including whole grain
But don’t just take our word for it:
Previous notable K-12 chefs and foodservice directors who rave about the benefits of offering Rice Bowls:
- 2009 Healthy Rice Bowls Contest winner Sylvia Kravitz, Product Development Technician for San Diego Unified School District's (SDUSD) Middle & Secondary Schools. "Students told us they wanted something appealing, filling, fast, easy to hold and most important - great tasting food. Rice bowls fit the bill," said Kravitz.
Her her Sweet & Sour Shrimp, Teriyaki Chicken with Asian Vegetables, Beef with Broccoli and Fajita Chicken rice bowls introduced a fun and creative way to deliver a complete meal that's full of flavor and packed with nutrients.
Also, read our Chef's Corner feature about Chef Jeff Denton, Director of child Nutrition for Ponca City School District in Oklahoma to see why he's become a larger-than-life character and how his passion for food is being passed on to future generations.
Need help getting started? Download our "Kids Love...Rice Bowls" brochure:
|The brochure offers tips on planning a Rice Bowl station, planogram showing how bowls can be assembled, and menu suggestions for implementing ethnic, regional american, contemporary and breakfast concepts. Try a Sweet-and-Sour Bowl, Chili Bowl, Pizza Bowl, or Huevos Breakfast Bowl!|